[Owncloud] group admins and user creation privilege

Erwin Rennert rennert at zsi.at
Wed Apr 24 11:31:17 UTC 2013

On 04/24/2013 11:52 AM, Andreas Ergenzinger wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to know what people's feelings are about the ability of
> subadmins (a.k.a. group admins) to create new user accounts. Should
> all subadmins always be able to do that? Or should that privilege
> require explicit permission from the (super) admin, possibly on an
> individual basis.

Hi!
I believe use cases vastly differ.
I would prefer the super admin being able to decide, whether the group
admin may create users.

However, there are a number of other questions regarding groups and
their administration.

* As of now, IF a group admin knows the exact user ID of another user on
the system, s/he may actually add this user to his/her group by
"creating" a userID with a random password.
** Is this desirable?
* The group admin may also extend or reduce the user's quota.
** In my view this is definitely undesirable. The quota should stick at
the default setting, or even better, the site admin should set a group
quota.
* Group quota: Here we go!
** there is a feature request: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/1347
** Now in my view, existing users should be exempt from the group quota;
after all they may be members of various groups.

Lots of difficult questions.

Yours,
Erwin