[Owncloud] ldap groups in an addressbook

Nicolas Mora nicolas at babelouest.org
Wed Apr 3 11:48:09 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm currently working on a ldap backend for the addressbook of
owncloud. The goal is to use a ldap server to store the contacts
(obviously :p ).
The work in progress can be seen there for now :
https://github.com/babelouest/apps/blob/contacts_ldap/contacts/lib/backend/ldap.php
https://github.com/babelouest/apps/blob/contacts_ldap/contacts/lib/ldap/connector.php

I have a couple of questions about ldap and user_ldap.
In my implementation, the connection between a ldap entry and a vcard
is based on an xml configuration :
https://github.com/babelouest/apps/blob/contacts_ldap/contacts/appinfo/ldap_vcard_connector.xml
I'm currently using user_ldap but only for myself, without any groups,
so I don't know how it works with groups and user list.

My first question is about groups.
In general, do you know if there is an ldap attribute that could be
connected to the VCard 'CATEGORIES' attribute ?
There are the groups attributes (CN) in the DN, but these are part of
the DN, so they can't be modified easily. I thought of 'o' or 'ou'
attributes, but these may be used for different purposes, depending on
the application behind.
In you opinion, what should be the best way to connect the 'CATEGORIES'
property into an ldap entry ?

The second question is more technical and is about the ldap sizelimit
attribute on the server. When an addressbook has more entries than the
sizelimit, how do you manage this with user_ldap ? Do you perform
multiple ldap_search as a workaround ?
I have several ideas how to manage sizelimit parameters, but I still
haven't found one yet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

/Nicolas