[Owncloud] owncloud 4.5 beta 4 install issue

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Sun Sep 23 21:23:30 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've just installed owncloud 4.5 beta 4 on my Debian server with mysql 5.5 and
I'm running it under Apache 2.4 with php5-fpm.

After running the configuration wizard and going to the Settings - Admin section,
I'm presented with the following message:

"Security Warning
Your data directory and your files are probably accessible from the internet. The
.htaccess file that ownCloud provides is not working. We strongly suggest that
you configure your webserver in a way that the data directory is no longer
accessible or you move the data directory outside the webserver document root."

What I don't get is that apparently .htaccess shouldn't be working, since it is
apache it's running under.
According to a post on forum.owncloud.org the warning will go away when I move
the data directory away from /var/www/(owncloud) though.
Is that correct (and therefor the warning msg misleading)? If not correct, what
do I need to do so that .htaccess does work?

Furthermore I've changed the permissions on the owncloud directory as follows:
- chmod -R o-rwx owncloud
- chown -R root:www-data owncloud
- chown -R www-data:www-data owncloud/apps
- chown -R www-data:www-data owncloud/config
- chown -R www-data:www-data owncloud/data

Now only the owncloud/data directory (and subdirectories) are world-readable,
but I'm not brave enough to remove that ;-)

I haven't moved the data directory yet, but will do so later.
What do I have to do, apart from changing the value in config.php to make it work
and secure?

Cheers,
  Diederik