[Owncloud] Heavy LDAP user search

Dirk Kastens dirk.kastens at uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri Sep 21 10:03:09 UTC 2012

I have configured many software products with ldap access at work. None
of it scans the whole directory. The problem is, that oc won't recognize
changes in the directory. When I add a new ldap user or when I change
the group membership of a user, I expect that the software immediately
recognizes the changes. It's not very user friendly if I have to wait
for the next complete rescan of the directory to discover the changes.

Am 21.09.2012 11:56, schrieb Diederik de Haas:
> On Friday 21 September 2012 11:41:14 Arthur Schiwon wrote:
>>> I'm always
>>> running into the search time limit of our ldap server. Now, when I try
>>> to share something with another ldap user, the owncloud server hangs. I
>>> assume, it's because the autocomplete function tries to read in all 50k
>>> users of our directory.
>>
>> Try to increase the Cache TTL to make it run more smoothly. However, every
>> now  and then it needs to be updated.
>
> Why not create an option in the LDAP-backend/Admin app to (pre-)scan the
> directory? That way the administrator can determine when it's a good time to
> query the 'whole' directory instead of it being invoked when the first user
> request triggers it. I'm not sure, but maybe this way there's also a(n elegant)
> way to avoid timeouts.
> Would using the cron feature a proper way to update the cache and/or fill it in
> the first place?
>
> Note: I haven't used the LDAP backend (yet?), so this is just me brainstorming.
> Hope it helps.
Dirk