[Owncloud] Heavy LDAP user search

Arthur Schiwon blizzz at owncloud.com
Fri Sep 21 09:41:14 UTC 2012

On Friday, September 21, 2012 11:24:13 AM Dirk Kastens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I still wonder why owncloud scans the whole directory.

It scans according to the User Base DN and User list filter, but given.

In ownCloud the username is also the user ID. So we need to create an
owncloud username for each LDAP user, that does not collide with any other
user and respects the username limitations forowncloud. If the name changes,
the data will be unaccessible for this user. Also, when a Share operation is
about to happen, we need to now which user is available, so a full scan cannot
be avoided anyway. Plus,. PHP 5.3 does not support a paged retrieval [1]
 which could come handy sometimes.

[1] https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=42060

> I'm always
> running into the search time limit of our ldap server. Now, when I try
> to share something with another ldap user, the owncloud server hangs. I
> assume, it's because the autocomplete function tries to read in all 50k
> users of our directory.

Try to increase the Cache TTL to make it run more smoothly. However, every now
and then it needs to be updated.

However, when it is really getting this faster, it should run better for you
as well.

Cheers
Arthur