[Owncloud] Suggestion: general help framework

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Tue Sep 11 11:53:33 UTC 2012

On 11.09.2012, at 07:22, Michael Gapczynski <mtgap at owncloud.com> wrote:

> I like the idea Christian. We could also use some improvements on the documentation on the website. For the welcome page, could we show a nice overlay for a new user with a short guide. How to upload files, share a file, moving files, setup webdav client, etc. Rather than the user stumbling around. This content could probably be the same as the help section.

Perhaps I´m missing fantasy but I only see one option here. :-)
We should have a basic help included in ownCloud for stuff like "how to upload" and "how to share." At the end the help text we add a "more" button than links to the website for more extensive documentation. The shipped short documentation has to be in git but this shouldn´t be a problem because this is only short anyways and the more extensive documentation is online.
No?
So +1 from me to Christian if you want to implement this :-)

> @Thomas
> Some of those topics including this one could easily be discussed further in IRC or by email. This way there can be a basic plan in place, which allows for more time focused on actual implementation at the meeting. I believe this is what Frank is getting at.

Exactly.