[Owncloud] Suggestion: general help framework

Thomas Müller thomas.mueller at tmit.eu
Mon Sep 10 14:10:48 UTC 2012

Am Montag, dem 10.09.2012 um 15:46 schrieb Frank Karlitschek:
> On 10.09.2012, at 15:38, Thomas Müller <thomas.mueller at tmit.eu> wrote:

> >> I think it is an excellent idea. Apparently I didn't notice your original
> >> proposal.
> >>
> >> Currently we have the knowledgebase under settings/help.php which also offers
> >> a few links to documentation, but AFAIRC it is very unstructured (it couldn't
> >> connect via OCSClient so I can't say how it looks now).
> >>
> >> We should have a reliable service that could be queried for up-to-date info to
> >> be provided either as context sensitive help (bubble/popup) and for more
> >> general help, as the welcome page you mentioned.
> >>
> >> Maybe we could simply store it in a git repository as
> >> markdown/text/wiki/whatever.
> >>

> > Just FYI:
> > we have a topic on the dev meeting in Berlin about this:
> > http://owncloud.org/dev/planned-topics-for-developer-meeting-autumn-2012/
> >
> > - Community Interaction / mailing list / forum / deciding on one help platform
> >
> > Let's summarize all ideas and discuss them in Berlin.
>
> In general I agree. But let´d not postpone everything to the meeting. We already have more topics tan we can discuss and not everybody is in Berlin.
>
> Plus I think that a help framework as discussed is useful independently from the mailing-list / forum / online help discussion.
>

>From my understanding this is for sure belongs to this topic.
In addition we need to keep them all updated and in sync and I don't see who can maintain this.

(We already lack on devs (e.g. Gallery is not maintained for weeks) - postings on ML stay unanswered...)

Before starting something new we need to the the current situation sorted out.
We agreed to discuss this in Berlin.

As stated above: let's collect ideas.