[Owncloud] Getting owncloud-client in Debian

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Oct 31 12:49:53 UTC 2012

Hey,

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:35:12 Klaas Freitag wrote:

> >> Its not to difficult (and allowed) to apply the patch in the version to
> >> upload in Debian.
> >> So the package in Debian could drop the depend on libiniparser.
> >
> > It's not ideal (and a valid reason for rejection) to have downstream (i.e.
> > Debian) ship a patch that is NAK'ed upstream. The right way to do it would
> > be to port to ding-libs (whatever that is, Andreas suggests he'd ACK a
> > patch doing that), upstream that and package the result for Debian.
>
> I don't know ding-libs but if thats in debian and others (!), fine, go
> ahead and convince Andreas. I can't find it for openSUSE after a quick
> search, so this might be replacing one bad with the other?

Ow, misunderstanding: Andreas suggests it, that's why I'm mentioning it, see
https://open.cryptomilk.org/issues/5 I don't know ding-libs myself either, and
can't really say anything about that. And, I don't know ding-libs either.
(Doesn't seem to be packaged for Debian or openSUSE.)

> > Let's not ignore that libiniparser not only sucks for Debian, but for
> > others as well. The source doesn't even have a build system,
> > (portability?) it contained multiple WTFs when I installed it from source
> > on my system. It's just really bad.
>
> We upstreamed a couple of fixes already (lots of const issues) and domme
> has a cmake port ready to upstream. Try to motivate him on IRC ;o)
>
> Lets fix stuff instead of mimimi, ok?

My point is that I can *see* why people say it's broken. When I set up my
owncloud dev environment on my Debian machine, I installed libiniparser from
source, and lacking a buildsystem (it only ships a Makefile) was the first
thing that puzzled me. Of course there also was no "install" target, so I
ended up manually copying the .so to the place where it was found. That left a
really bad taste, as if its developers do not care at all about portability,
or even friendliness to install or deploy. Packagers complain for sure about
these things (and rightfully), so I can understand why it's being rejected in
Debian.

I also can't say that I feel responsible for that, and C is not my strongsuit
at all. So honestly, I'm not the one who's going to fix it, only mimimi. :)

Cheers,
--
sebas