[Owncloud] bugtracker situation

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Wed Oct 24 07:09:01 UTC 2012

As one of the main proponents of the change to Github (including the
issue tracker) I’ll chime in:

Our priority is developing ownCloud. If one of our tools hinders us,
we need to consider using a different one.

I didn’t file issues since some time because I just found
bugs.owncloud.org a pain to use. I often hear »Github issues is too
simple« – well it’s simple, and that’s good. The suggested
alternatives (Bugzilla, MantisBT, Launchpad, etc) we either have to
host ourselves (requiring everyone to sign up again), have a shitty
interface, or are hosted much like Github and thus can also be closed
at any time. Or all of the above.

This is true for the issue tracker much like for our code
repositories. To repeat what I said in May about »Gitorious vs
Github«: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/owncloud/2012-May/003667.html

I don’t want people to use free software because it’s free software,
but because it’s good.

It’s a common free software fallacy to say: »But if you as a big
project (ownCloud) use Gitorious (or any system for any purpose) it
will get more users, then more exposure, and then get better.« Nothing
like that happened with Gitorious or Buggenie while we used it, each
for about a year. And if it doesn’t work for us, we have to look for a
system which does.

We discussed this several times on the mailing list – I know because I
brought it up so often, and it wasn’t cut short.
It was discussed enough – now we act, and push onward.