[Owncloud] ownCloud Client version 1.1.1 released

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Oct 22 20:53:45 UTC 2012

Daniel Molkentin <danimo at owncloud.com>
> On 19.10.2012, at 17:16, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Is the new one the fastsync branch?
>
> The fastsync branch has since been merged, but yes, that's the deal.

Cool.  Thanks for the confirmation.  I understand what's gone on a
bit better now.

[...]
> > - to get more developers, it needs more users;
>
> Unfortunately, especially for end user software, this equation isn't
> as linear as it should be. Having more documentation, etc are also
> important factors (that we need to improve upon as well).

Nothing like linear and never will be.  We'll be lucky if it's a low
polynomial... but I think we agree thatthere is a relationship.

> > - to get more users, there must be a slower, easier upgrade cycle.
>
> 'slower' is the wrong word. Updates should arrive as soon as possible. The problem is behavioral breakage. Updates must be easy and painless, I concur.

I agree it's the wrong word (my English sucks sometimes... and I'm
English... I'm always amazed how well later-learners speak it...
anyway...) and updates should arrive as soon as possible, but I mean
to convey that they should be *required* as late as possible.  However
lovely the software is, if it forces me to upgrade it daily in my own
time or it'll break, it's not going to last long... and I suspect I'm
one of the more stubborn and vocal, who'll stick with the software and
grumble a bit.  So yes, less pain, please!  Glad to hear it!

Hope that explains,