[Owncloud] ownCloud Client version 1.1.1 released

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Fri Oct 19 15:26:47 UTC 2012

On 19.10.2012, at 17:16, MJ Ray wrote:

> Daniel Molkentin <danimo at owncloud.com>
>> Unless we find security issues, 1.0.5 was the last release for
>> 4.0.x. I know that's not ideal, but supporting both sync methods is
>> too much work for the amount of people that we are.
>
> Please excuse the cluebie question, but "both sync methods"?
> Is the new one the fastsync branch?

The fastsync branch has since been merged, but yes, that's the deal.

The old syncing methods was based on time stamps. Unfortunately, even in the age of NTP being the default on almost every OS, this approach proved to cause too many side effects. Now, we are using IDs for files and folders, which along the way is also faster in the common case. For more info, see http://dragotin.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/csync-for-owncloud-client-1-1-0-a-new-sync-engine/.

>> Ideally, there should be no more of such breakages. Realistically,
>> we have to carefully balance the interest of the users with the
>> developers' ability to deliver solid releases on all platforms when
>> facing significant changes next time.
>
> Realistically?  This doesn't look a balancing act to me:
> - to deliver solid releases on all platforms, it needs more developers;

Yes, or at least, more testers and packagers. Those are different skill sets.

> - to get more developers, it needs more users;

Unfortunately, especially for end user software, this equation isn't as linear as it should be. Having more documentation, etc are also important factors (that we need to improve upon as well).

> - to get more users, there must be a slower, easier upgrade cycle.

'slower' is the wrong word. Updates should arrive as soon as possible. The problem is behavioral breakage. Updates must be easy and painless, I concur.

Daniel