[Owncloud] bugtracker situation

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.com
Mon Oct 22 19:59:23 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

our current bugtracker bugs.owncloud.org works less than optimal as we all know. We had several discussion on the mailinglist on irc and in personal about options to improve this and I think all the options are on the table. I think we need a solution because it is difficult to work with and people are complaining.

github has a simple but nice issue tracker and it is also nicely integrated so the idea was and is to move to it. We don´t have a lock-in effect there because they have nice import and export APIs. Thomas even wrote a very great migration script :-)

The problem is that we lose the user accounts when we move the existing issues over and urls to the old bugs won´t work anymore.

So what we now do is this:

We will keep the old bugtracker bugs.owncloud.org for the old bugs but I will disable the option to add new bugs. Existing bugs can still be updated and closed.
New bugs can be added on github. I even saw recently that other project do it exactly like that too.
So it can´t be that wrong ;-)

This seems to be the best option for now and I hope that works for everybody.

Frank