[Owncloud] Contacts Synchronization

John loadedmind at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 13:24:21 UTC 2012

Hello all.  I'm new to this mailing list.  I've searched through the
archives of the list for this information, including the owncloud.org forum
and it doesn't appear to have been addressed.  But if so, please forgive my
searching skills.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone with AT&T (i777)
and have purchased, downloaded and installed the owncloud app from Google's
Play store.  Works fantastic for pictures and what not.  I've seen the
CardDAV information concerning Address Book on OS X.  I'm running the
latest version, 10.8.  I also have pretty much every other operating system
available in the event one platform is better than another for what I'm
after.  I'd like to have a button within the owncloud app that allows me to
push all of my contacts (preferably in the same layout from Android's
contacts app) from my smartphone to my owncloud server.  This server is
mine, hosted with a local outfit for free as it also serves as the local
LUG server - meaning, I have full access and can do anything I need to.
I'm not sure if I'll end up having to use my Mac as an intermediary for
getting contacts from Android to my owncloud server or if it can be done
directly from phone to server.  Does anyone happen to have a howto or
tutorial on how this could be done or should I just cool my heels as it's
on some roadmap somewhere?

Thank you so much for coming up with a way to keep from having to share my
personal data with Google.  I switched from the iPhone platform a few
months ago because I didn't want to have to share my personal data with
Apple and using iTunes as the sync client is an absolute disaster for me.
I've told literally everyone I know about this project and I'm very
thankful such a solution exists.  Please keep up the terrific work!

John H