[Owncloud] ownCloud on NAS

Patric Zimmermann Patric.Zimmermann at physik.tu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 15 08:09:10 UTC 2012

Hey Klaas and all the others!

There is a page for this in the website [1] but unfortunately is not very well being taken care of,
nor is it very comprehensive. I was thinking about replacing my OC Dell Server with an uptodate NAS as well,
but unfortunately the documentation isn't very well on this. Especially FreeNAS [2] would be interesting which is
probably something similar to the NAS2000 you mentioned.

There was a thread a while back here on the ML, where Frank said that it would be great if someone could take
care of extending the list on [1], but besides that nothing happened. :(

The Dev-Guys at OC are doing a real good job in implementing new features an getting forward with the releases,
but the documentation seems to get lost behind...
I think it's time to start working on a comprehensive documentation for OC. For the early versions <= 3.x OC was kind
of a teeny, but now it's time to think about a thoroughly good documentation. Without that, the more people start using
OC, the more this will be needed so I guess this would be well spend time creating a proper docu as well as getting the
website kind of sorted straight. (There are some parts still showing instructions for only old versions, as well as some
other are just not there (or very hard to find).

So it might be that some people may turn their back on OC just because of this lack if good documentation, which would
be very sad since OC seems to be a very good piece of software. But not everyone is a developer nor does everybody
want to delve into every detail of OC just to get it working. - So it time to get that (the docu issue) sorted.

Just my 2 cent.

Best regards,
Patric

[1] http://owncloud.org/support/appliance/
[2] http://www.freenas.org/

Am 15.10.2012 um 09:33 schrieb Klaas Freitag:

> Hi,
>
> over the weekend I spent too much time trying to get an ancient ICY BOX 1000 to work. I changed the original firmware to the Tinky from nas-2000.org and thought maybe I can get ownCloud to run it, because in terms of performance and features the icy box seems fine for me.
> But probably its too old for ownCloud as it only has an old version of thttpd
>
> My question is: Has somebody a recommendation for a NAS device? I am interested in the following characteristics:
>
> - Low energy consumption !
> - one IDE or SATA harddisk, RAID etc not needed
> - open linux based system available with packages
> - ability to do storage, but also things like svnserver or git
> - ability to get ownCloud running
> - Cheap.
>
> Has anbody an idea what to use?
>
> Thx,