[Owncloud] integration of ownCloud with another application?

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Sun Oct 14 21:10:48 UTC 2012

On Friday 12 October 2012 13:48 Anton Koval' wrote:
> Good day!
>
> I've made round of learning ownCloud's site, its developers/API
> documentation. And came here with question.
>
> Is there possibility to integrate ownCloud's support of cardDAV protocol
> into another applications? ownCloud will work with contacts as it done
> today except several things:
> 1) some custom authentication
> 2) contacts for listing supposed to be generated based on data from
> external API (e.g. some tool will do the generatation of contacts vCards in
> needed folder)
> 3) on any user's action (PUT/DELETE) ownCloud should provide some callback
> (or some kind of hook). And based on this, another application will be able
> to update contacts in own database.

There are "Hooks" (signals) [1] that can provide the ability to do such.

> I understand that I described things in a highly generalized (or even
> fuzzy) way, but this is because I'm still having weak understanding of "how
> cardDAV" works.

It is a bit fuzzy yes ;) We have had some talks about connecting users to
vCards; whether it should be as automagically generating vcards based on user
profiles, or pinning a vCard (contact) to be a me-card is still up for
discussion. I'm not sure at all if that's what you're talking about though?

> Please feel free to correct me at any point or suggest another ways of
> integration.

For discussing authentication/integration wrt *DAV protocols the SabreDAV
mailing list [1] is also a good place. I also only have a vague understanding
of how it works, but I learn a lot from there. I assume several other OC
developers also subscribe to that list.

[1] http://owncloud.org/dev/apps/hooks/
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sabredav-discuss

--