[Owncloud] Suggestions for the Website.

santigua santigua1978 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 14 20:17:15 UTC 2012

Hey!

Since I messed up my productive OC instance today by following the instruction "to well" today... I want to make a few suggestions:

1.) Any Instruction, HowTo or what ever should get a tag for which OC-Version it is meant!
It is nice that you are doing such a quick progress, but sometimes (actually almost always) it is not clear if the instructions on the web (if any) are still valid.
Here [1] for example at the very top of the page it mentions version 2 (!!!) but it's not clear if the infos in this page are ALL for version 2 or maybe for the "stable version 3.0" which is mentioned right below.  Thats actually very confusing and can lead to problems.

2.) Any HowTo should need to be verified by at least one other user to be fully correct.
If there is just a little mistake, that can cause real trouble. You could f.e. tag the HowTo as "beta" or "not verified" at the top.
Or maybe just create a little red box at the very top stating, that theses instructions have not yet been verified...

3.) When you create instructions or a howto and say "do a backup"... it would be nice to be precise on what to backup.
Maybe one could create a page with a "backup howto" saying what one needs to backup to
a.) restore the data/files
b.) oc-users
c.) whole oc-instance

AND... also how to restore these.

One final quote: "A Software is always only as good as it's documentation..."

Thanks for reading.

[1]  http://owncloud.org/support/distro-notes/