[Owncloud] Dependency Checking

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Sun Oct 14 02:09:43 UTC 2012

Hello,

> On Friday 12 October 2012 20:57:08 eMerzh wrote:
> [...]
> My idea is to put a field in the info.xml with informations of dependence
> like : OC version  (min / max / ..)
> php version
> OC app (version?)
> OS type / version
> DB type / version?

There was a short exchange over that issue on this mailing list on 17.08.2012
started with this subject: "Improvement for the required version test blocking
apps". You actually contributed a message yourself.

As far as I know no one currently works on that field. However it is one of
the points on the list for the developer sprint end of october in Berlin. The
idea was to collect meaningful requirements and dependencies worth checking
and describing and to setup a strategy together. The imlementation itself can
be done afterwards, that stuff won't be too complex or performance critical.
To me it appears very important to define a clear syntax how such dependencies
can be described. Most likely inside the appinfo/info.xml file, as an
extension (or better replacement) of the current "require" flag. Altering that
syntax later or changing its evaluation logic later will be unconvenient,
since the feature will be in usage in all apps. So its one of those things
that should be done right from the begin...

Are you gonna take part in that developer sprint?
I really think this issue deserves attention and should be approached by more
than just one or two app devs.

--
Christian Reiner (arkascha)
[ foss at christian-reiner.info ]