[Owncloud] apps review and categories

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Fri Oct 12 14:30:53 UTC 2012

On 12.10.2012, at 14:24, Thomas Tanghus <thomas at tanghus.net> wrote:

> On Friday 12 October 2012 10:25 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
>> independent 3rd party apps for ownCloud are getting more and more important
>> for us. I don´t want to ship an ownCloud in a few years that has every
>> features and can do everything including making coffee. So building an app
>> ecosystem around a small ownCloud core is important. Because of that we
>> have to work on the tools to build this ecosystem.
>
> Great initiative. This has caused a lot of grief for both users and bug
> triagers.
>
>> We have now a few improvements in our apps download system starting this
>> evening.
>>
>> ownCloud versions:
>> (...) Currently it is only possible to select one ownCloud version. In
>> the future when we have apps that are compatible with different releases we
>> will add options to select several different versions.
>
> Will this be so you can both select that a download supports several versions,
> or have several downloads that supports different versions?
>
> Since "Improvements for the “required version test” blocking apps" is on the
> list for the dev meeting I'm guessing it will be up for revision after that?

Hmm. I don´t really get what you mean. :-)
Currently you can only select one ownCloud version as compatible with an app. I will extend this soon to support several version. Definitly before ownCloud 5.
Not a lot to discuss here. We just have to do it :-)

>> Approval workflow:
>> (...) Every new or changed app will go into review modus. This
>> means that it is not downloadable from the website or from inside ownCloud.
>> Then someone from the reviewer team has to check the app and approve it. It
>> will be downloadable from the website and will show up in the ownCloud
>> installer.
>
> With all due respect, may I suggest that the first review will be of OC_App
> and OC_Installer? At the moment it works most of the times, but when there's
> an error, the only message the user gets is that there was an error. Some
> times you can find the reason in the log, but most times you only get a hint
> of what's wrong, then you have to grep through the source to find the origin
> of the error message and track your way back to the actual reason of the error
> message.

I agree that this has to be improved for the next version. Another thing we need
is the option to "upgrade" an app to a new version.

>> We are looking for a team of people who want to help with the review and
>> join the apps review team.
>
> Can this be automated in some smart way to both help independent devs and
> reviewers? Or maybe quoting any questionable source code in the review enough?

Don´t know what you mean with automated. We should extend the current static code checker in OC_Installer.
But there is still some manual work necessary. An automated checker can´t find more complex problems or backdoors