[Owncloud] ownCloud book

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Wed Nov 28 14:20:56 UTC 2012

On 28.11.2012 15:12, Christian Reiner wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> On Wednesday 28 November 2012 13:59:41 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
>> we got the second question from a book publisher for an ownCloud book.
>> Is someone in the community interested in writing a book?  ;-)
>
> I think acutally quite a few people would be interested _if_ such project
> would be organized such that the product is actually of value.
> I certainly would like to contribute.
>
> What I would not support is to produce one more book along the line of "The
> ultimate guide to ...whatever...". Outdated the day they come out. Holding
> chapters like "if you want to open a file, chose Menu > File > Open and select
> the file you want to open. " No thanks. We all know those.
>
> What might be interesting is to maintain a (printable) book in a collaborative
> effort. A book that is constantly updated according to the projects progress.
> Such an effort can very well get organized just like coding software. Several
> contributors create content maintained inside a repository. Why not do that as
> a part of the project?

Danimo recently set up a sphinx [1] based doc system that is easy and
suitable for
this purpose imo.

For example, see
https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/blob/master/doc/building.rst
It displays nicely in the browser and can be converted to a big list of
output format such as pdf, html, online-help and such (and still looks
good)...

We do some Client docs in there, but why not have server doc as well?

regards,

Klaas

[1] http://sphinx-doc.org/