[Owncloud] Debian and KDE

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Sat Nov 17 11:31:07 UTC 2012

On Saturday 17 November 2012 06:09:50 Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> 4.4 - seriously?

He's using stable/Squeeze, which was releases in feb 2011, which is of course
pretty dated by now.
The freeze for Wheezy is in effect for some months now and will contain KDE
4.8.4, but without KMail 2.x and/or the owncloud connector in KDE, see [1].

> I often praise the Debian packagers for their
> conservatism,  but that is just plain silly. If they found a bug after 4.4
> they could maybe try to skip a version.

When you're running unstable or testing, you'd usually get the 'even' KDE
releases, ie 4.4/4.6/4.8/etc. This is afaik mostly caused by a lack of manpower
of the Debian KDE packaging team. To get more releases into Debian (and maybe
even in backports), the team would probably need to be doubled in size.
IMO they're doing an amazing job given the available resources (and time).

HTH,
  Diederik

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012/06/msg00122.html