[Owncloud] sync files with 2 sync clients

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Fri Nov 9 09:51:30 UTC 2012

On 08.11.2012 22:52, Dennis wrote:
Gents,

> i couldn`t agree more.
> I am a owncloud observer since the early releases and i was trying
> desperately to replace teamdrive with owncloud.
> Unfortunately its not useable in a production environment at least in my
> opinion.
> Synchronising not to mention team collaborative work isn`t a scenario
> owncloud can handle at the moment.
>
> I really hope the devs can get there, oc is without a doubt very promising.
> If i may give a modest advice its that you guys shouldn`t focus on new
> features but instead make owncloud more stable
> and focus on the reliable function of its core features.
Thanks for your kind hints here. I tend to agree, but please also see
this: Before you can stabilize a feature set you actually need it, and
for a sync client I'd say that the ability to sync files is a basic set.
We are there now I'd say and now we have to work to stabilize that in
several regards.

But please also understand that we're not a 50 headed development
department operating after a huge master plan. And many of the problems
we see are complex and, as one said in this thread, difficult to
reproduce etc.

That means that we need you: You can help! Try to setup scenarios, test,
and try to describe exactly what you experience. Try to analyze what
happens and discuss your results. We see and read that, because we
really would love to get rid of all that problems and work on that every
day :)

But let me add on a personal note: Try to operate from the (code-) base
that we have today. It does not help to say "If XY was completely
different, it would work better." but changing XY would mean another two
years work. Software in general and FOSS in particular improves on small
steps which are doable and realistic. These are often neglected and
people more like the "big changes".

regards,

Klaas