[Owncloud] URL shortening

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Tue Nov 6 16:10:38 UTC 2012

Hi all,
let me just add a remark or two, since I am the author of the 'Shorty' app:

On Tuesday 06 November 2012 16:31:26 Michael Grosser wrote:
> I actually think it's better to have that as a separate app. The
> shorty app is quite alright and has a lot of features someone with a
> short link wants.
> It's not only about the link size, but also tracking, reassigning
> shortened urls etc.
> Shorty is already providing that, I think the thing to do is just
> enabling a shorten with shorty option within sharing, not sure if the
> shorty app can do that with the new sharing api, I'm not that code
> aware with the sharing api...

an integration of Shorty into the sharing feature of owncloud is something I
was indeed asked about. Unfortunately all my attempts into that direction did
not really provide a satisfying result.
I am currently unable to invest time into that, I am afraid. I would love to,
but I have other things to do right now... So if anyone wants to step forward
and give it a try that would be great! Currently Shortys source is not inside
github but in a subversion repository of mine. There are various reasons for
this, but that certainly is something that can be sorted out.

My suggestion would be to keep things as simple as possible. The current
sharing feature provides two important aspects: a) it generates URLs to access
items, and Shorty is dealing with URLs. Fine. b) it takes care of a fine
grained rights management, Shorty in contrast does not do this (double this)
and there are good reasons for that. So in my eyes the best would be to leave
sharing as it works, except for adding a small logic that integrates the
Shorty feature into the sharing dialog. Something like this: if an item is
shared (however), an additional option "create Shorty" is offered. This calls
and fills the "New Shorty" dialog already present in the Shorty app in the
same way the 'Shortlet' already does from outside. This way the internal
rights management is not in danger of being bypassed. If an object is unshared
the still existing Shorty resolves to a denial.
Unfortunately the Share API does not provide such feature of an additional
option in the sharing dialog. So if we are talking about an app-centric
approach the only solution I see is to inject the option into the html markup
by means of js. THis should work, though it is not exactly a bulletproof
approach, since the markup of the sharing dialog might change. I would suggest
to provide such feature as an additional plugin to Shorty, just as the 'Shorty
Tracking' plugin already enhances Shortys features. Such additional plugin
should be implemented such that it an handle different layouts of the sharing
dialog being present. This way it is up to the local user (admin) if such
integration is enabled or not.

Christian Reiner (arkascha)
--
Christian Reiner (arkascha)