[Owncloud] ownCoud and web hotel

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Mon Nov 5 11:12:18 UTC 2012

Hi Karl,

On 05.11.2012, at 12:01, Karl-Arne Gjersøyen wrote:

> Hello again.
> I installed ownCloud on my web hotel as a subdomain.
> (http://nettsky.karl-arne.name)
> The web interface for login is working well. But when installed a
> client on Windows 7, it can't synchronize with the cloud on my hotel.
> It is because the ownCloud application use specific ports to
> communicate or is it something els?

So you're saying your on a hotel WiFi? As long as you can use your
web browser, you should be able to use the ownCloud client, since it
does only use HTTP or HTTP (Ports 80/443). However,
some hotspots employ transparent proxies that cannot deal with
WEBDAV, a HTTP extension required for ownCloud. Fixing this is
quite simple: Use HTTPS. proxies will not (and cannot) interfere with
HTTPS content. Even if you are using a self-signed certificate, and
accept the connection from a trusted location, this is a lot better
than not using any encryption at all, especially in public wifi hotspots,
_everyone_ in the area can read your traffic, steal your session ID, etc.

Otherwise: follow the instructions at
https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/blob/master/doc/troubleshooting.rst
for furthe debugging.

Cheers,