[Owncloud] Inter-ownCloud Sharing

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Sat May 26 20:11:26 UTC 2012

On 26.05.2012 13:09, Deepak Mittal wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Frank Karlitschek<frank at owncloud.org>wrote:
Hi,

> You can check out my GSoC proposal at
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/dpacmittal/18002.
> This is basically how I'm implementing it although few things might change
> during actual implementation.

Great proposal from a users perspective. Here are some random thoughts:

- The request_file and request_file_index request: These functions
provide a very similar functionality than the WebDAV module which is
already there: With WebDAV you can obviously download files and get
directory listings, however for the sharing a filter on the file listing
would be needed (ie. which files are to share). Maybe we can combine
that and not duplicate?

- it might be cool to enhance the idea of what a user is in ownCloud in
general. Currently a user is just "frank", maybe we should enhance that
to "frank at domain". That would make a lot more possible.

- A very special usecase of sharing is the "sharing with myself". Given
that I can proof that frank at domainA and frank at domainB are both under my
control the complete data can be shared between the ownClouds which in
turn makes moving quite easy.

- I think the request_user_index is not a good idea. Systems like
ownCloud should not distribute their user lists, and (already hearing
Jan objecting ;-) obviously not by default. I think you should know the
user you want to share with.

The API can be very useful for the client as well which we also were
already talking about.

Thanks,

Klaas