[Owncloud] Inter-ownCloud Sharing

Deepak Mittal dpac.mittal2 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 12:44:55 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Jan-Christoph Borchardt <
hey at jancborchardt.net> wrote:

> I don’t know if it fits the scope of the proposal, but I think it’s
> important because we need to get inter-ownCloud sharing right. I
> highly disagree with this part: »Only admins can create sharing
> between two clouds. (This was decided after discussions with the
> mentor).« (– who is the mentor, I can’t find any info in the
> proposal).

Bartek (aqu on freenode) and I discussed on this and he said giving so much
power to a user wouldn't be a good idea. Unfortunately, Bartek didn't get
selected as a mentor for this project. Right now Robin Appelman (Icewind)
is my mentor.

> Inter-sharing should, at least from the user perspective outside a
> company setting, _not_ be the choice of the admin. Like with Diaspora
> and Email, you should just be able to put in frank at franksowncloud.org
> – then he gets a notification, and can either accept or reject the
> shared file.

That was the exact original idea I had proposed.

> Then in your personal settings you could set your real name and photo
> for instance, so other people can find you easier (only if you want,
> of course, default is private). Then if Frank, who is on a different
> instance than me, already shares with someone on my ownCloud, his data
> will be cached on my ownCloud and when I type in »Fra…« I will get
> Frank suggested, and because he set his photo, I can even verify it’s
> him (of course it will also show the Webfinger user address so I can
> verify it without photo and without name).
>
> All this, the photos, names and use of Webfinger will prepare ownCloud
> for being more webby, lay the foundation for more collaborative and
> social aspects and make federation easier. Otherwise the users are at
> the admins mercy even more. – yes I know, the plan is for everyone to
> have their own ownCloud, but it’s not going to happen like a snap –
> there will first be providers, and they should not be the only ones to
> choose if communication is possible. Of course there should be an
> option to deactivate it (by it being an app) but this would mainly be
> relevant in a company setting, not a public instance or provider.

Maybe we can have both the options, although that would go beyond the scope
of GSoC. So after GSoC I can continue to work on extending it to include
user sharing as well.

> Also, are you in our IRC channel already – #owncloud-dev on freenode?
> That way we can talk and get to know each other much better.

dpac on freenode. I'm already on that channel since last few days.

> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Deepak Mittal <dpac.mittal2 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.org>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Deepak,
> >>
> >> very cool. Do you have a architecture document available somewhere or a
> >> concept paper how you want to implement this?
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot.
> >

> > Hi Frank,
> >
> > You can check out my GSoC proposal
> > at
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/dpacmittal/18002
> .
> > This is basically how I'm implementing it although few things might
> change
> > during actual implementation.
> >

> >> Frank

> pairing