[Owncloud] Inter-ownCloud Sharing

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Sat May 26 12:29:37 UTC 2012

I don’t know if it fits the scope of the proposal, but I think it’s
important because we need to get inter-ownCloud sharing right. I
highly disagree with this part: »Only admins can create sharing
between two clouds. (This was decided after discussions with the
mentor).« (– who is the mentor, I can’t find any info in the
proposal).

Inter-sharing should, at least from the user perspective outside a
company setting, _not_ be the choice of the admin. Like with Diaspora
and Email, you should just be able to put in frank at franksowncloud.org
– then he gets a notification, and can either accept or reject the
shared file.

Then in your personal settings you could set your real name and photo
for instance, so other people can find you easier (only if you want,
of course, default is private). Then if Frank, who is on a different
instance than me, already shares with someone on my ownCloud, his data
will be cached on my ownCloud and when I type in »Fra…« I will get
Frank suggested, and because he set his photo, I can even verify it’s
him (of course it will also show the Webfinger user address so I can
verify it without photo and without name).

All this, the photos, names and use of Webfinger will prepare ownCloud
for being more webby, lay the foundation for more collaborative and
social aspects and make federation easier. Otherwise the users are at
the admins mercy even more. – yes I know, the plan is for everyone to
have their own ownCloud, but it’s not going to happen like a snap –
there will first be providers, and they should not be the only ones to
choose if communication is possible. Of course there should be an
option to deactivate it (by it being an app) but this would mainly be
relevant in a company setting, not a public instance or provider.

Also, are you in our IRC channel already – #owncloud-dev on freenode?
That way we can talk and get to know each other much better.