[Owncloud] Translation to German: 2 Questions

Marcel Herrguth mherrguth at mrgeneration.de
Thu May 24 07:53:45 UTC 2012

Hey,

>>> [...]
>>> I noticed Mirall was not at all translated so I wanted to start
>>> there.

>> awesome.

I think I should offer App translation from German/English or
English/German in general :) As long as it's not like "Hey, hurry up"
I'm fine with it and I'd also be glad to help the community.

>>> [...]
>>> The first being whether we should talk to people in the formal
>>> "Sie" or
>>> My personal opinion on that topic is "Du", since I would see the
>>> service
>>> more targeted against private users (like in Dropbox) than business
>>> customers, but I am aware of the "Company support" option so I
>>> would
>>> like to have your opinion before I start translating the
>>> corresponding
>>> strings.

>> Currently the translation is using "Du". Today I had a meeting with
>> a big government organization in Germany >> >> than will use ownCloud
>> in the future. They complained that we use "Du"
>> So using "Sie" might be saver because it works for everybody.
>> But this is open for discussion of course.

>> This is a discussion in most high-profile projects. I generally am
>> for
>> »Du« because it is more friendly, and lots of projects do it like
>> that
>> for this reason. When translating, I usually formulate it so the
>> usage
>> of either is avoided. This also makes for shorter and more
>> understandable translations.

I wouldn't mind both formal and informal. I wouldn't even mind to help
with the translation (even if it's only changing the informal version to
the formal or the other way around - it's fine either way).

Do we have a transifex project for that? Or how do you offer the
possibility to translate? :)

Best regards
Marcel

PS: sorry for the double mail... I screw up the navigation of my mail
client :X