[Owncloud] Translation to German: 2 Questions

Florian RĂ¼chel florian.ruechel at googlemail.com
Wed May 23 19:26:06 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I am new on the ownCloud team and I wanted to start by translating stuff
to German since it is my native language.

I noticed Mirall was not at all translated so I wanted to start there.

Two questions ocurred for me:
The first being whether we should talk to people in the formal "Sie" or
the informal "Du" in German? As a third option one might consider two
languages but that might also be a bit too much.
For those of you not familiar with the distinction between the two
salutations: You would a address your friends with "Du" and your
business partners and strangers with "Sie", both meaning "you".

My personal opinion on that topic is "Du", since I would see the service
more targeted against private users (like in Dropbox) than business
customers, but I am aware of the "Company support" option so I would
like to have your opinion before I start translating the corresponding
strings.

The second issue is mostly a question of length and the degree to what
you want to translate ownCloud:
A good example might be "Sync". This is the short version of
"Synchronisation" and in German it would have the same lengthy string. I
am not a 100% sure now whether it wouldn't sound kinda wrong to say
"Sync" in German. On the one hand its completely analogous to do it, on
the other hand it sounds wrong (you could shortend it as a verb
translating "to sync sth." to "etw. syncen" but this would mix German
and English here).
So two issues appear here: If a use the full length, then the buttons
are surely too short so either they get bigger (wasting space) or the
text gets truncated (looking stupid / impossible to read). The other
issue is how much you want to translate and if you are comfortable if a
certain amount of words is being kept in English as it is commonly used
at least among the younger generations already.

Looking forward to your answers,
Cheers
Florian