[Owncloud] config.php

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Wed May 23 19:07:39 UTC 2012

Hi all,

When you install owncloud you'll get a config.php containing mostly the database parameters.
But if you look into config.sample.php there are quite a number of other parameters, which' use isn't
always clear.
So I hope someone can tell me what they're for, what possible values are acceptable and what the
default value is (if there is one). May also be handy to put in wiki/documentation.

Logging: "log_type", "logfile" and "loglevel"
In class OC_LOG I found a default value (in code) for log_type of 'owncloud', but what other options
are there? Is it possible to log to syslog or sth like that?
And are the possible values of loglevel the ones defined in that class (DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR,
FATAL)? logfile seems to be the name of the file the log msgs are written to. Is it supposed to be a
relative filename to say the data directory or is it an absolute path?

Mail: "mail_smtpmode", "mail_smtphost", "mail_smtpauth", "mail_smtpname", "mail_smtppassword"
The class OC_Mail seems to handle all of these.
Can the mail_smtphost also contain a port number, like "mail.example.com:587". Does it support TLS
or other security measures? If so, how to specify that?
With one of my accounts I forgot the password, so I requested a pwd-reset mail. It said it send the
mail, but till this day I haven't received it. What needs to be done in order to get it working?

Knowledgebase: "knowledgebaseenabled", "knowledgebaseurl"
What can you do with these parameters? And how does it integrate with OC?

Appstore: "appstoreenabled", "appstoreurl"
I've tried enabling it and setting the url to http://apps.owncloud.com/, but it looks like it
doesn't have an effect. So, the question is: what can I do with these parameters and how to use it?

Others:
"enablebackup"
The only reference I've found wrt this parameter is a check for directory permissions. But what can
I do with it? What is backed up? With what frequency? Is there sth I can configure about it?
"appcodechecker"
What values can it have and what can I do with it?
"3rdpartyroot", "3rdpartyurl"
I guess 3rdpartyroot is for when you want the 3rdparty apps not in owncloud/3rdparty but at a
different location. What can you do with 3rdpartyurl?

Cheers,
  Diederik