[Owncloud] Encryption

chymian chymian at gmx.net
Tue May 22 21:46:10 UTC 2012

Am Dienstag, 22. Mai 2012, 12:53:12 schrieb Florian Hülsmann:
> > You always have to trust your admin. ;-)
>
> With ZeroBin [1] you don't even have to trust your admin, but I'm not
> sure if that model of client-side encryption is appliable to ownCloud...
>
> [1] http://sebsauvage.net/wiki/doku.php?id=php:zerobin
>
> > I'm using an external file server as the OC data storage. Server side
> > encryption would make the storage more secure, because someone who gets
> > access to the file server will not be able to read the data.
> > Wouldn't webdav work with a separate encryption password that is stored
> > in the database?
> >
> > Dirk

you might also have a look at wuala.com. they have been the first which encrypted cloud storage.
they do - afaik - a client-side encryption and have their src partially opened, developed at ETH zürich.

i know, this doesn't help the server-side-encryption, but you might get some ideas from the concept.
they use a web- or desktop-client for uploading.
since they encrypt every file (and add keys for other users which are allowed to read the files), this opens the possibility for
encrypted & plain files...

since wuala is not very well know, I thougt I give you the hint...

guenter