[Owncloud] usability testing

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Thu May 10 12:59:07 UTC 2012

As some of you already know I currently work on bringing together
usability students and free software projects. 2 student groups work
on ownCloud, one does card sorting, one classic usability testing.

In the tests today there were quite some problems, especially with the
calendar. Since we need to polish it for ownCloud 4, here are the
first recommendations we extracted from the first usability tests
(more will follow tomorrow, when the next tests are done).

OWNCLOUD.ORG
Page needs to be translated.

FILES
Sharing via email does not give any feedback.
Clicking a music file to play it did not work.
Search did not work, at all.
A newly created text file was not directly editable.
Text files should be formatted better, the line numbers are too
present and monospace font is bad.

MUSIC
Disconnect between playlist and music collection. If you play one
song, then the next button either does not do anything or play the
song again. Should skip to the next song in the music collection.

CONTACTS
Do not show nickname, organization and group by default! Only image,
name, email, phone and address
Remove the suggestions of the name field "contact new, new contact, bla bla"
The telephone nr and email categorization is way too prominent

CALENDAR
Month view is current default, week view should be.
The popup is too complicated. Cut "categories", and "calendar" should
just use the default calendar (color code that here as well!)
If full day event is selected, do not show the time fields!
Show the time info in one line: From [date] [time] to [date] [time]
The calendar chooser shows "Array" 3 times, no calendar name
Contrast of the type and calendar color is too low. All the calendar
colors should be a lighter color (or when darker, the typeface should
be white.)

BOOKMARKS
Adding bookmark without content is possible.
Remove the "Tags" input field altogether. Tags can be given after
adding, but not as an upfront barrier.

We did not test the other apps (Pictures was not used, Tasks was
disabled because it has a load of features and is very confusing) and
this is only a set of first results. My time is very limited right now
(and no wifi on my personal laptop) but I will try to also work on
improving based on these results. Please let me know if you have any
questions.