[Owncloud] Mozilla sync integration project

Michiel de Jong michiel at unhosted.org
Tue May 8 09:22:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Timmeey <timmeey at timmeey.de> wrote:
> I don't think that it is possible to access these firefox sync data if we use the Firefox sync API. Coz by design everything gets encrypted by firefox it Self.

exactly. it's host-proof hosting. ownCloud does not get to see the
data. the advantage is that if your ownCloud server gets hacked, your
bookmarks and potential other things you may have in there are still
safe.

> Maybe there is a Way. If we find a way for the users to get the encryption key Out of firefox, Then they could give it to owncloud for "on the fly decryption" of the Data.

no, that would totally break the design. the idea of Mozilla Sync is
that you store your private stuff on an untrusted server, using
host-proof hosting. if you start giving the private key to the data
server, then you end up with something that's broken.

it is definitely an interesting goal to have your bookmarks and
browser settings on your ownCloud, but the way to achieve that would
be to allow a "don't encrypt" option in Mozilla Sync. It would also be
very interesting to tie that in with the webfinger app and Mozilla
Persona.

but if you're purely looking at using ownCloud for Mozilla Sync, then
IMO you need to respect its end-to-end encryption design.