[Owncloud] Desktop Client on Ubuntu 12.04: SSL connection problem

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Mon May 7 12:31:35 UTC 2012

On Monday 07 May 2012 12:42:00 Norman Rieß wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the download page for the Ubuntu client ist still on 11.10.
> I am waiting for the 12.04 Version. Where did you get it?
> The 11.10 version is not connecting either.

How did you download owncloud-client?  Via

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:ownCloud:ownCloud2012/xUbuntu_11.10/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list

I get an error on natty (11.04) or precise (12.04):

Failed to exec method /usr/lib/apt/methods/
E: Method  has died unexpectedly!
E: Sub-process  returned an error code (100)
E: Method /usr/lib/apt/methods/ did not start correctly

Looks to me as the ':' in the path component confuse apt-get:

root at lap-allee:~# apt-cache policy owncloud-client
owncloud-client:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.0.1-1
  Version table:
     1.0.1-1 0
        500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:ownCloud:ownCloud2012/xUbuntu_12.04/  Packages
        500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:ownCloud:ownCloud2012/xUbuntu_12.04/  Translation-en
        500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:ownCloud:ownCloud2012/xUbuntu_12.04/  Translation-en_US
root at lap-allee:~# apt-get install owncloud-client
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libcsync-plugin-owncloud libcsync-plugin-sftp libcsync-plugin-smb libcsync0 libneon27 libopts25 libqt4-core libqt4-gui ntp
Suggested packages:
  ntp-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed
  libcsync-plugin-owncloud libcsync-plugin-sftp libcsync-plugin-smb libcsync0 libneon27 libopts25 libqt4-core libqt4-gui ntp owncloud-client
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Failed to exec method /usr/lib/apt/methods/
E: Method  has died unexpectedly!
E: Sub-process  returned an error code (100)
E: Method /usr/lib/apt/methods/ did not start correctly
root at lap-allee:~# l /usr/lib/apt/methods/
total 472
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23168 Apr 20 12:21 bzip2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 35560 Apr 20 12:21 cdrom
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18912 Apr 20 12:21 copy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18904 Apr 20 12:21 file
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 60752 Apr 20 12:21 ftp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 31472 Apr 20 12:21 gpgv
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18952 Apr 20 12:21 gzip
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 68960 Apr 20 12:21 http
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 39768 Apr 20 12:22 https
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     5 Apr 20 12:19 lzma -> bzip2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 93832 Apr 20 12:21 mirror
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 31440 Apr 20 12:21 rred
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 27416 Apr 20 12:21 rsh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     3 Apr 20 12:19 ssh -> rsh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     5 Apr 20 12:19 xz -> bzip2

> Regards,
> Norman
[...]

                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com