[Owncloud] owncloud API design guidelines

Alessandro Cosentino cosenal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:40:08 UTC 2012

I suggest to do it similar to OCS
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/open-collaboration-services
> Disclaimer: This was done by me. ;-)

very interesting, I was looking for something of this kind. I'll have a
look at OCS.

> It would also be nice to make it similar to the Google Reader API so that
> application developers can easily support both.

I have been look at the other API that feed aggregators expose, but there
are problems with all of them. Google Reader API are first of all not
officially documented. Secondly, they don't support important functions,
such as batch request of modifying a list of items. This is important to
avoid opening too many HTTP requests. Also, afaik, there are not
well-developed clients interacting with Google Reader, so that wouldn't
help much. Dan Vratil and Frank Osterfeld are developing an akonadi
resource for Google Reader using libkgoogle, but it's still a work in
progress.
About Newsblur API (this time very well documented!), again Jakob cast
doubts on how well they are designed, in particular on how well HTTP verbs
are used.

Alessandro