[Owncloud] owncloud API design guidelines

Alessandro Cosentino cosenal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:23:20 UTC 2012

sorry Klaas, replying again this time cc'ing the list.

> I am going to design a RESTful webAPI for the rss aggregator app (I know, I
>> am talking about this app too much)
>>
> No, that can't be done - talking about stuff one does is always good :-)

what can't be done?

> I wonder what kind of API that will be. You said you do an RSS aggregator,
> doesn't it pull RSS feeds from other sites using their API and display them
> in the oC?
> What is your API providing than? And who/what are the planned consumers?
> Other ownCloud apps, mobile devices, other things?

Yes, the client will need to expose API to synchronize with standalone
application (KDE Akregator first of all), mobile apps, other web apps, ...
You can find more info on what needs to be synchronized in my proposal:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/cosenal/1

> and I was wondering if there are any
>> API design guidelines that ownCloud apps should follow.
>>
> Not yet, but we really need them... Maybe you can take notes while you go
> through the process of starting a new app now what you were missing or what
> could have helped.

I'll do that. And I'll try do document it as much as possible. this also
sounds like a lot of responsibility: I don't want future APIs to be base on
mine :)

Alessandro