[Owncloud] App Data Migration

Tom Needham tom at owncloud.com
Tue Mar 6 19:51:15 UTC 2012

> What is $userid? A name? An email? Can't be an database id I guess, because that will be different on the other system. There needs to be one unique key to identify a user.

I planned $userid to be the id of the currently logged in user. But yes maybe this needs better planning so it can be used for more than one user.

> What about apps which handle big amounts of data, such as images, movies, music, X-ray pictures and such?

I have been talking to Bartek about this quite a bit recently. The scenario we were talking about was a user with roughly 25k photos (4gb) which amounted to 300mb of db metadata (real scenario from IRC). Obviously, using my original idea would mean holding a 300mb+ string in memory so isn't really that practical. An idea that Bartek came up with is to create a sqlite db in the users data dir and then add the app data into there.

Leading on from that, I though the migration backend could scrape for the database.xml files, then create the same structure inside of the migration sqlite db (lets call it migration.db). I was then thinking about providing a function for app developers that would allow them to copy a row from the real db into migration.db. Also, on import, to make it easier for app developers the migration backend could retrive the tables/data for each app and pass it to the import function as an array. This means we can hide the migration.db from apps, meaning apps can't play with other apps' data (and of course means app developers don't have to play with sql to get their data out again).

For the moment, in the admin_export app I am just dumping the db into an xml file using MDB2, adding this to a zip of the data dir. Then on import, replacing the data dir, with the imported and replacing the present db with the imported xml file. This method would even allow swapping between different db backends. The user could then upgrade ownCloud after the migration.

> I think XML has more tools to check and process the data (XSLT, XPath etc), but they are not very handy. However that can be a big benefit.

This wouldn't be relevant if we switch to a sqlite db as the output for app data.

Hope this all makes sense :)

Tom

Tom Needham
tom at owncloud.com