[Owncloud] GANTT Charts as owncloud app? A GSoC project?

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Fri Mar 2 07:13:21 UTC 2012

On 01.03.2012 20:18, Pascal Mages wrote:
Hi Pascal,

> I would like to propose an idea which could maybe be turned into GSoC
> project. In a collaboration project we will probably use owncloud. But
> one piece is still missing. We need a way to display/generate GANTT
> charts and doing thant in owncloud would be the most natural thing.
> In short: A Gantt chart is a type of bar chart, developed by Henry
> Gantt, that illustrates a project schedule [1].

> There is a free GANTT chart tool based on Javascript, CSS and HTML which
> could provide a startig point [2] for an owncloud app.
Sure, that would be a great addition.

Where does the input for the GANTT diagrams come from? I don't think it
makes so much sense to just display them without helping to generate
them. How are you planning to do that?

For example there is the project "Taskjuggler" [4]. Its based on text
files specifying tasks, resources and much more. ownCloud integration
could look like this: Whenever you update a taskjuggler file on the
ownCloud, in the background the taskjuggler task is started to schedule
everything and the result of that is shown in ownCloud. Nice app :-)

regards,

Klaas

[4] http://www.taskjuggler.org