[Owncloud] regarding quality

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Sat Jun 30 16:07:15 UTC 2012

Hi,

> the main problem our users mention about ownCloud is the number of bugs we have. I think we have to be more careful in the future about code quality if we want that more users use our software to manage their important documents and data.
> We got a lot of bad press and feedback for ownCloud 4 and it took us several weeks to fix the major bugs in 4.0.4. We have to be way better in ownCloud 5.
>
> Robin, Thomas and others are working on automated unit tests. This will help us a bit in the future.
> But automated test have only a limited effectivity in complex client/server/web environments like ours.
> So every developer is full responsible for the bugs and security problems a commit might introduce. You canĀ“t rely on a unit test or a different developer or user to find and fix your stuff.
>
> A few important rules:
>
> - Test your code before commit!
> - Only backport important and fully tested bugfixes to stable4
> - Switch PHP notices on and have a look at the Apache error log regularly.
> - Test you code before commit!!
> - Do complex stuff in branches and only merge when fully working
> - Respect the coding guidelines http://owncloud.org/dev/contribute/
> - I suggest that developers run master so that we are sure that it is always usable.
> - Use JS debugger like Firebug to catch JS errors.
> - Test you code before commit!!
> - Always sanitize user data to prevent XSS or CSRF security problems.
> - Always write documentation for your classes/functions.
> - Test your code before commit!!!!
> - And please test your code before commit!

Maybe we should also set up our very specific "Definition of DONE", a
list of what has to be done and which condition have to met before an
action item is DONE. An example is described at [1].

That list probably does not fully fit us, but can it be used as starting
point?

What do you think?
Klaas

[1] http://www.allaboutagile.com/definition-of-done-10-point-checklist/