[Owncloud] smtp settings

Michael Gapczynski mtgap at owncloud.com
Tue Jun 26 19:17:00 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 02:46:38 PM Simon Brereton wrote:
> On 26 June 2012 13:31, vincent fare <vincent.fare at free.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Let's have a look to the attached config sample.
> >
> > regards,
> > Vincent.
>
> Thanks.  That's sort of my point.
>
> This is in config.sample.php - which means..
>
> 1) it gets overwritten every time I upgrade

I'm not sure why this is a problem. The config.sample.php is only for
documenting all config values that you can set in config.php

> 2) I was never actually presented with a screen to set it up the first
> time so it doesn't appear in config.php (where it should)

We want the install process to be as simple as possible. In the future, we may
add some extra advanced options such as setting up mail. This isn't a top
priority because the config.php is easy to edit.

> I imagine the settings Florian described in his response will work for
> some servers, perhaps even the majority, but a) Owncloud shouldn't
> assume that the machine has a sendmail binary (so using the loopback
> address/127.0.0.1 is out and b) whilst the even where this is the case
> this may not be desirable.  A very common spam attack method is to
> exploit php's mail abilities and so secure sites will have
> authentication even on connections from localhost (at least that's
> what I have).

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but as far as I know you aren't limited
to just sendmail. From config.sample.php:

/* Mode to use for sending mail, can be sendmail, smtp, qmail or php, see
PHPMailer docs */
"mail_smtpmode" => "sendmail",

> But I've tried to suggest improvements to the install/set-up process
> before...

I believe we've responded to all of your emails to the mailing list.

Michael