[Owncloud] smtp settings

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 18:46:38 UTC 2012

On 26 June 2012 13:31, vincent fare <vincent.fare at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's have a look to the attached config sample.
>
> regards,
> Vincent.

Thanks.  That's sort of my point.

This is in config.sample.php - which means..

1) it gets overwritten every time I upgrade
2) I was never actually presented with a screen to set it up the first
time so it doesn't appear in config.php (where it should)

I imagine the settings Florian described in his response will work for
some servers, perhaps even the majority, but a) Owncloud shouldn't
assume that the machine has a sendmail binary (so using the loopback
address/127.0.0.1 is out and b) whilst the even where this is the case
this may not be desirable.  A very common spam attack method is to
exploit php's mail abilities and so secure sites will have
authentication even on connections from localhost (at least that's
what I have).

But I've tried to suggest improvements to the install/set-up process before...

Simon