[Owncloud] ownCloud 4.0.4 milestone?

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Mon Jun 25 15:43:06 UTC 2012

On 25.06.2012 17:20, Alain Bourgeois wrote:
> I'm a very frequent contributor to this project as a bug tracker, but I
> would like to point a few problems
> relating to organization of releases.
>
> In my opinion there need to be a pre-release usability-test for any new
> version including minor versions,
> with clean install, migration cases, test of as many as possible usage.
>
> I feel looking through bugenie and the forum, that there is some
> discouragement.
> Not for your reactions to bugs : efficient, but for too much new ideas
> and not enough testing.
>
> Don't take it bad, your young project is really good, but your pace to
> new versions in 2 month's time may be too quick.
Maybe, but just giving more time between releases does not solve it IMO.

The question is how we can get better testing and a more clear view on
what was tested well, what has to be tested etc pp.

Maybe something like that would help: Somebody collects the new features
and bigger changes we do during development phase. That requires to
follow development quite closely and talk to devs from time to time. For
all the new stuff,'test instructions' need to be set up, maybe in a wiki
for example. These test instructions don't have to be bold, just a few
lines which people can repeat in their szenarios and the expected
outcome. When it comes to releasing, we could somehow collect how many
people tested which test instructions in which scenarios. This would be
a beginning.

Oh man, I am dreaming of an organized QA group in the ownCloud
community... It's so important.

Klaas