[Owncloud] Move to GitHub

Georg Ehrke ownclouddev at georgswebsite.de
Sat Jun 23 12:41:46 UTC 2012

Hi all,
we just released ownCloud 4.0.3 and the mayor bugs in ownCloud 4 has been fixed.
We already talked prior to the ownCloud 4.0.0 release about a move to GitHub and came to the conformity that we should wait till all mayor bugs (especially corrupt files with encryption) are fixed.
These bugs are fixed now and we should continue our conversation about a move to GitHub.

Lennart Rosam opened a Doodle to show the opinions of the developers / community.
http://www.doodle.com/gpqix9engytkyavq
While writing this mail:
The majority, 14 of 23 developers, voted for a move to GitHub. (about 60%)
Only a fifth want to stay at Gitorious.

It's even more important that most of the core developers and ownCloud Inc. employes, who have to use Gitorious every day, voted for a move to GitHub.

We should use this move to reach one of our long term goals: to separate the core, the apps and 3rdparty libs.
Therefore I suggest the following repositories on GitHub:

Main ownCloud Project:
core
apps
apps-dev (merge current apps and apps-playground repo)
3rdparty
themes

ownCloud Clients:
android (merge android and android-main)
android-devel-extensions
(iOS)
webos
desktop ( = mirall )

other:
www
integration
cli ( = owncloud-admin )

We should also talk about a move from the Buggenie to GitHub issues.
The Buggenie works but i am personally annoyed by the long loading times.
I often have to wait  about 8 to 9 minutes. (This is only the basic html without all js and css). (See Attachment).
Shall i open a doodle for this decision?

What we shall do before the move to GitHub:
We should definitely take a look at all merge requests on Gitorious.
A lot of people worked on these merge request to improve ownCloud.
The worst thing would be to left these on Gitorious and don't take care.

Are there other important things before a move to GitHub?

Cheers,
Georg Ehrke