[Owncloud] Fwd: Re: Contributing

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Fri Jun 22 19:15:16 UTC 2012

I don't think this one made it to the list?

Subject: Re: [Owncloud] Contributing
Date: Friday 22 June 2012, 11:37
From: Nathan Anderson <nanderson at sum-ware.com>
To: Thomas Tanghus <thomas at tanghus.net>

Let me offer the newbie perspective on the /dev/contribute page:

I like the reorganization, the piece that is missing is what to do when your
code is ready to share with the rest of the community.  There is a mention
that you should create an account at Gitorious, but a step-by-step would be
helpful.  I suggest adding another section to the contribute page, perhaps
something like this (plus anything this newbie is missing ;) ):

Share your code:
 * For bug fixes you should be able to create a patch and attach it to a
ticket
     [insert example git commands here]
 * To code a new feature
   * Maintain your code in its own branch
     [git branch feature_name]
   * Clone the owncloud master branch to your own Gitorious repository using
your branch name (feature_name)
   * Push your code to your Gitorious repository
     [git add .]
     [git commit -m 'comment about new feature']
     [git push git at gitorious.org:~gitorious_username/owncloud/feature_name.git
feature_name]
   * Merge recent changes of master into your local repository
     [git checkout master]
     [git pull --rebase]
     [git checkout feature_name]
     [git merge master]
   * Once your code it complete, tested, and committed, then request your
Gitorious branch to be merged with master.

That is the basic process that I stumbled through while learning git the past
couple days.  Most of that information is in the "git crash course" previously
linked on the page.  But the one thing I had the hardest time figuring out was
how to share my local code changes and make the request to merge with master.

Thanks,
Nathan