[Owncloud] Authenticating users

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 18:04:54 UTC 2012

On 8 June 2012 17:21, Bart Visscher <bartv at thisnet.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 03:40:24PM -0400, Simon Brereton wrote:
>> > Secondly, there's no install instructions. ??By viewing the page I
>> > downloaded a zip file, but that leaves me with two problems. ??I have
>> > to move the zip to the server and b) I have no idea where to unzip it
>> > (I assume in the app folder, but I can't find definitive
>> > instructions).
>>

>> Sorry to keep on about this - but I googled and I still find no clear
>> instructions on how to install a zip file and I'm reluctant to try
>> (just unzipping in the apps directory) on a production system.  I
>> realise Owncloud is still a young project, but Joomla makes this
>> really easy.  As safe as that approach sounds, I saw recently a thread
>> about different installation directory and so without a little more
>> information I'm not willing to play around (especially since it's an
>> auth module and installing it wrongly could pose a security risk).
>
> The different application directories is something for the next release.
> If you make the apps directory writable for the web server, you can use
> owncloud to install apps. If you don't want to do this, or use the zip
> you currently have, unzip it in the apps directory. You still need to
> enable it in the apps admin page.

Bart

To return to this (sorry, I've been really busy).  I made the apps
directory read/writable by www-data, but I still don't see how to
install apps from the interface.  However, more apps appear all the
time, for example this list is now much bigger than when I installed
owncloud.

Archive
Calendar
Contacts
Media
ODF Viewer
PDF Viewer
Pictures
Share Files
Text Editor
User Account Migration
Versions
ownCloud Instance Migration
Bookmarks
Encryption
External
External storage support
LDAP user and group backend
OpenID user backend
Tasks
Webfinger
ownCloud dependencies info
remoteStorage compatibility
Shorty3rd party
Storage Charts v2.23rd party
BrowserId user backend3rd party

But it doesn't have the app that I want.  Nor am I able to search and
install available apps.  Of course for the IMAP Auth app, I can just
unzip it as you said, but in the future I would like - if I understood
correctly - to browse and install apps from the interface.

thanks.

Simon