[Owncloud] recommended way to update 4.0 -> 4.0.2

Alishams Hassam alishams.hassam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 08:51:25 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:32 AM, santigua <santigua1978 at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> since I don't want to mess up my running OC4.0 instance, I was wondering,
> what is the recommended way to update it to 4.0.2.
>
> Somewhere I read "just leave out the config and data folder", but I'm not
> sure if that's all I have to keep an eye on...
>
> Probably from http://owncloud.org/support/install/

> So, how is that to be done anyway?
> Do I just download the tarball, extract the contents, remove the folders
> 'config' and 'data', and then just copy
> the <OC4.0.2-Root> (without config an data folders) over the <OC4.0-Root>
> directory, and that's it?
>
> It's best to use your distro's package if available, however I'm on Debian
and have just been decompressing the tarball as you've guessed. You don't
even have to remove any directories or anything form it as the tarball only
has sample configs and everything unique to your installation in 'data' is
created with different names than the included files and folders. In short,
just untar ontop of your owncloud and you should be good to go (at least
that's worked for me ;p).

To verify this, you can view the contents of the data and config folders
and you'll see that what they replace has nothing to do with your personal
settings.

> Anyway, wasn't the an update mechanism mentioned a while back?
>
> That would be nice, but I find the distro specific packages on the build
service suffice. Though if it auto-updated (or had the option), I would use
it.