[Owncloud] Several server instances for one cloud

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Thu Jun 14 15:56:59 UTC 2012

There are different options. It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to do a real high availability and high performance setup we suggest to use several servers with a load balancer and a shared storage like an NFS server..

If you want to have a second standby server for backup we suggest that configure ownCloud to store backups on this second server  and only access the primary one.

If you want to use a second server because you want to have more storage than we suggest to use the new external filesystem feature of ownCloud 4 to mount a second ownCloud into your primary one.

If you want to have a master/master setup with two servers and you want to access both randomly than we suggest to use mysql master/master replication and csync for syncing the files. This might be tricky and untested.

You could also try to use GlusterFS as a storage backend for a master/master setup. But this is also untested.

You could also setup two independent ownCloud installations and use csync to sync two user accounts.

Frank