[Owncloud] Problem with LDAP and usernames with a dot

Arthur Schiwon blizzz at owncloud.com
Mon Jul 30 10:23:40 UTC 2012

Hi Matt,

I think you have a different problem.

First, the LDAP names returned by the attribute you specifiy in "Display
Name Field", are being "transformed" to ownCloud names. An ownCloud user
name may consist of the characters a-zA-Z0-9.-_@ . While we replaces
blank spaces with underscores, everything else is simply omitted. E.g.
"My.Namé" would became "MyNam" (yes, there is not transliteration for now).

Hint: Logging in is of course possible with your usual LDAP name which
is checked against the attribute you specify in "User Login Filter". It
can contain dots, weird characters and what not.

Now, the reason why you probably see no one in the sharing-drop down is
that you can only share to people that are in the same groups you are
in. Since ownCloud 4.0.5 you can disable this behaviour and share with
all by setting the hook at Settings → Admin → Enable sharing with everyone

Cheers
Arthur