[Owncloud] Usage of triggers: ok for OC apps or too risky ?

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Sun Jul 29 12:13:20 UTC 2012

Hello all,
i plan to offer a live monitoring for the occurance of certain events inside
an OC app. These events are already captured by that app, stored in the
database and also offered via a hook. However, since OC is based on php inside
a web server environment the users session is spread over several processes.
I thought of using long polling ajax requests, but obviously want to prevent
having to poll the database at fixed intervals. Instead, when trying to react
more or less immediately on an event I have to react directly to the event.
Since this event is captured inside another process two options arise:
1. inter process communication
2. using triggers inside the database engine
Inter process comminucation is a great thing, however looking at the operating
systems and the various approaches it seems unlikely to ger this working
reliable outside unix like systems. On MS Windows there is no dbus, phps
shared memory extension does not exist and named pipes are not available. I
know there are only few installations of OC out there, but it would be a pitty
to reduce the list of features on such systems anyway. So I think of using the
second aproach: database triggers.
To my surprise I read that triggers are supported by SQLite these days, and
the 'real' database servers relevant here all do so as well. So apart from me
having to implement and test that:

does anyone here see a reason against using triggers in OC apps ?

Thanks,
Christian

--
arkascha