[Owncloud] Owncloud with sqlite and ampache

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Sat Jul 14 21:45:06 UTC 2012

On Thursday 12 July 2012 22:56:50 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Thursday 12 July 2012 21:47:25 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > So therefor I have 2 questions:
> > - Does it only work with mysql or did I do sth wrong?

I figured it out :-)

MySQL is NOT a requirement, it works with sqlite too and there's no need to
install an ampache server, since ownCloud contains one itself.
I'll describe what I did and what I noticed while that happened, so it's a bit
of a long mail, but tl;dr version is at the end.

It turned out that some songs did play while others did not. Then I started
looking into the database and noticed an important difference, namely the paths
were wrong of the files that didn't play. Then I realised what caused it.
As I uploaded more and more files, things got a little crowded, so I created a
Music folder to put my music files in. But the webinterface doesn't allow
moving/cut+paste. Fortunately ownCloud also has a webdav interface, so I
launched Dolphin connected through webdav to my ownCloud server and then I could
move my music files into the Music folder. But it turns out that it doesn't
update the entries in the database and therefor the moved files didn't play.
The files that did play were uploaded into the Music folder directly.

So I went on to fix things and noticed some other perculiar behaviour.
Through the webinterface I deleted the files which weren't playing through
amache, but the entries in the database weren't deleted ... ??
I don't have file versioning enabled, so this doesn't make sense to me.

Then I re-uploaded those files into the Music folder and saw that for most files
the database entries were *updated*, not added. Except for one file of which I
changed the filename slightly, for that one a new entry was created.
Therefor I had 2 entries in my ampache client (amarok) for the 'same' file. One
with the old name that I had deleted and one with the new file.
So it appears an item gets updated if the _filename_ is the same. If it would
happen on sth like the sha1sum of the file contents I can understand, but sth as
trivial as the filename suprises me.
I also have 1 music file by "Aly & Fila" in my collection and oc_media_artists
table show "Aly & Fila" and "Aly & Fila" and oc_media_albums show "Future
Sound of Egypt" twice. This is possibly caused by uploads under different
versions of ownCloud (likely 4.0.3 vs 4.0.4). Deleting that file in the Music
folder and then re-uploading it with a slighly different filename, caused the
original entry to be deleted from oc_media_songs and a new one added. The artist
is identified as "Aly & Fila", so this could be a regression.

tl;dr
- Ampache works with both sqlite and MySQL and no other components are required;
- ownCloud's webinterface does not support moving/cut+paste;
- When moving/cut+paste through webdav, music files' location do not get updated
in the database, making them unplayable trough ampache;
- Deleting a music file in ownCloud, does not delete it from the database (with
Versioning disabled). Those deleted files still show up in an ampache client
(amarok), but of course won't play. Another try (delete + reupload) wrt a
different problem did delete the entry though and created a new one when uploaded
with a (slightly) different filename;
- (Re-)Uploading a music file with the same filename (as a deleted one) in a
different folder will update the entry in the database, instead of creating a new
one;
- (Re-)Uploading a music file with a different filename (but same contents) will
create a new entry in the database, with the consequence that ampache clients
will show the same file twice, one of which is not playable;
- Uploading a file who's artist have a '&' in it, will be identified as '&'
.Earlier version seem to have identified it correctly as '&'.

Cheers,
  Diederik