[Owncloud] ownCloud API

Michael Gapczynski mtgap at owncloud.com
Mon Jul 2 15:58:01 UTC 2012

On Friday, June 29, 2012 04:10:31 PM Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> On 29.06.2012, at 16:03, Evert Pot <evert at rooftopsolutions.nl> wrote:
> > On Jun 29, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Michael Gapczynski wrote:
> >> Well I'm satisfied with that, I'll start writing up some stuff for a
> >> cloud
> >> module.
> >
> > I had a look at the OCS specs, and I don't feel it's very restful. It's
> > missing the important HATEOAS bit. Database id's shouldn't really exposed
> > by the service, all 'ids' should be urls, and all urls should be
> > discoverable.
> >
> > It's also not defining a xml namespace, which to me would be a bit of a
> > red flag. It's also not using content negotiation to request a format,
> > but a format=json parameter.
> >
> > Now, OCS may well be suitable for your needs, but I would certainly not
> > call it REST. It just uses the correct HTTP methods, but that's not quite
> > enough.
> >
> > Some links:
> >
> > http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm
> > http://timelessrepo.com/haters-gonna-hateoas
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HATEOAS
> >
> > Evert
>
> You are right. Thanks for the hints.
> There are a lot of thing to improve and we can still do that with a new
> version of OCS.
>
> Frank

I've started looking closer at OCS and I have a few specific questions about
OCS:

Could we add additional categories to the ACTIVITY module for our own types of
events?

The objects that are being manipulated in OCS require to be identified by an
id as Evert mentioned. Are there any issues if we deviate from this?

The status codes are a little confusing to me, mostly because they don't match
up with standard HTTP status codes. Is there a reason for the custom status
codes?

Michael